Job Title: Oscillator Design Engineer
Reports To: VP Engineering
Job Class: Salaried Exempt
This position is responsible for the design and development of oscillator products with state-of-the-art phase noise and g-sense performance. Leads project teams in a fast-paced team environment, to deliver new products to customers on time, meeting or exceeding all requirements and resulting in profitable products when transitioned to production.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply technical principles of engineering and electronics and utilize RF synthesis and simulation software packages to design, simulate and prototype new OCXO’s with state-of-the-art ultra-low phase noise and g-sense performance.
- Perform detailed analysis of compliance for electrical, mechanical, environmental and regulatory requirements (compliance matrix) for all new products being quoted.
- Estimate total costs, including material, labor, test and development costs as well as lead time for new products to be quoted.
- Lead design and development projects to completion following the company’s documented design and development process.
- Optimize new products for performance, lead time and cost.
- Provide guidance to assemblers and engineering technicians during the prototype build and optimization phase.
- Interface with Manufacturing Engineering to develop any new processes required to support new products.
- Interface with purchasing department to ensure required materials for prototypes are procured and delivered on time.
- Provide timely updates on progress of projects.
- Lead and/or participate in required project meetings: Project kick-offs, peer design reviews, pre-ship reviews, etc…
- Provide necessary design engineering support during transition of new products to production.
- Support mature products already in production that need design engineering support for obsolete components, quality or reliability issues or further optimization.
- Educate, train, mentor and coach other design engineers and technicians that have less experience or knowledge in the field.
- Stay up to date in technology and industry trends and propose new products to management that can give company a competitive advantage.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Demonstrated RF/MW oscillator design knowledge and competence working in several oscillator topologies with emphasis on ultra-low phase noise and low G-sense OCXO’s. This knowledge should include resonator selection, oscillator optimization, amplification, DC regulation, RF/Digital/Analog circuit-layout best practices.
- Mastery of RF/Microwave synthesis, simulation, and analysis software.
- Knowledge of technologies and processes used in the design and fabrication of oscillators and similar products.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong hands-on bench skills.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work well with others to perform a wide variety of tasks in a fast-paced engineering/production environment.
- Desirable: Knowledge and understanding of radio architecture, avionic and military communication systems, and radar architecture.
Education, Experience and Training:
- Prefer BSEE or MSEE.
- Minimum experience of 10 years in the RF/Microwave industry in oscillator design.
SPECIAL NOTE: The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of job duties and responsibilities required of the position. Employees may be asked to perform other job-related duties or tasks that are not specifically identified in this job description. Acceptance of employment based on this job description in part or whole does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise.